commandlinefu.com is the place to record those command-line gems that you return to again and again.
You can sign-in using OpenID credentials, or register a traditional username and password.
Subscribe to the feed for:
command [options] [paste your variable here] parameter
command [options] [paste entire column of variables here] parameter
(hard-code command "c" and parameter "e" according to your wishes: in example shown command = "cp -a" and parameter = "~")
- Quick exchange only variable part of a long command line
- Make variable part to be an entire column of data (i.e. file list)
- Full control while processing every single item
Paste column of data from anywhere. I.e. utilize the Block Select Mode to drag, select and copy columns (In KDE Konsole with Ctrl+Alt pressed, or only Ctrl pressed in GNOME Terminal respectively).
You can paste only one single variable in a row. If there are more space separated variables in a row only first one will be processed, but you can arrange your variables in a column instead. To transpose rows to columns or vice versa look at Linux manual pages for 'cut' and 'paste'.
- add edit mode to vary command "c" and parameter "e" on the fly
- add one edit mode more to handle every list item different
- add y/n/a (=All) instead of only y(=default)/n to allowed answers
The code is not optimized, only the basic idea is presented here. It's up to you to shorten code or extend the functionality.
There are 2 alternatives - vote for the best!
If you can do better, submit your command here.
You must be signed in to comment.