commandlinefu.com is the place to record those command-line gems that you return to again and again.
Delete that bloated snippets file you've been using and share your personal repository with the world. That way others can gain from your CLI wisdom and you from theirs too. All commands can be commented on, discussed and voted up or down.
You can sign-in using OpenID credentials, or register a traditional username and password.
First-time OpenID users will be automatically assigned a username which can be changed after signing in.
Every new command is wrapped in a tweet and posted to Twitter. Following the stream is a great way of staying abreast of the latest commands. For the more discerning, there are Twitter accounts for commands that get a minimum of 3 and 10 votes - that way only the great commands get tweeted.
Use your favourite RSS aggregator to stay in touch with the latest commands. There are feeds mirroring the 3 Twitter streams as well as for virtually every other subset (users, tags, functions,…):
Subscribe to the feed for:
Wow, didn't really expect you to read this far down. The latest iteration of the site is in open beta. It's a gentle open beta-- not in prime-time just yet. It's being hosted over at UpGuard (link) and you are more than welcome to give it a shot. Couple things:
Download google video with wget. Or, if you wish, pass video URL to ie mplayer to view as stream.
1. VURL: replace with url. I.e. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=12312312312312313#
2. OUPUT_FILE : optionally change to a more suited name. This is the downloaded file. I.e. foo.flv
# Improvements greatly appreciated. (close to my first linux command after ls -A :) )
Breakedown pipe by pipe:
1. wget: html from google, pass to stdout
2. grep: get the video url until thumbnailUrl (not needed)
3. grep: Strip off everything before http://
4. sed: urldecode
5. echo: hex escapes
6. sed: stipr of tailing before thumbnailUrl
7. wget: download. Here one could use i.e. mplayer or other...
There is 1 alternative - vote for the best!
If you can do better, submit your command here.
You must be signed in to comment.