commandlinefu.com is the place to record those command-line gems that you return to again and again.
You can sign-in using OpenID credentials, or register a traditional username and password.
Subscribe to the feed for:
A bitcoin "brainwallet" is a secret passphrase you carry in the "wallet" of your brain.
The Bitcoin Brainwallet Private Key Calculator calculates the standard base58 encoded bitcoin private key from your "brainwallet" passphrase.
The private key is the most important bitcoin number. All other numbers can be derived from it.
This command uses 3 other functions - all 3 are defined on my user page:
1) brainwallet_exponent() - search for Bitcoin Brainwallet Exponent Calculator
2) brainwallet_checksum() - search for Bitcoin Brainwallet Exponent Calculator
3) b58encode() - search for Bitcoin Brainwallet Base58 Encoder
Do make sure you use really strong, unpredictable passphrases (30+ characters)!
http:brainwallet.org can be used to check the accuracy of this calculator.
Why remember? Generate!
Up to 48 chars, works on any unix-like system (NB: BSD use md5 instead of md5sum)
This restricts things 3 ways:
1. No capitalized words, hence no proper names.
2. No apostrophes.
3. Restricts size to range (3,7)
Some snippets posted are slow on big dictionaries, this one is fast.